Saturday 16 December 2017

Squishmas 4: Best Winter/Christmas songs in games

One thing that I love about the Christmas season is the music. Its either really upbeat and cheerful, or soothing and beautiful. Plus no two Christmas songs are the same. Video game songs are no exception. Personally I think they are the best for setting the mood in a particular area since all the song has to do is hit the correct festive nerves. So here are some of my favourite Winter/Christmas songs in video games.

Winter White (Earthbound)
A song that is both cheery and sad, Winter White really sets the mood for the area. The bells in the background make you ready to go on an adventure with your new party member. But the main melody makes you think about the temperature itself, that its cold and that winter isn't just sleigh bells and happiness. Brentalfloss has also done an awesome vocal cover for it a few years ago! You can listen to Winter White here

Winter Theme (Harvest Moon Magical
For some weird reason, Harvest Moon games always have the best winter themes. This could be to fill in the gap that crops fill during the other seasons. The theme in Magical Melody is no exception. The subtle bell like sounds that play the main melody (pun not intended) kind of reminds me of figure skating for some weird reason. You can listen to it for yourself here

Rosalina's Ice World (Mario Kart 7)
The character selection may not have been the best but at least this game had awesome tracks with matching music. I loved the music in this track mainly for the use of the really low piano notes at the beginning. Its not often you hear low pitch sounds in a Winter/Christmas song unless its a hymn. You can listen to it here

Snowy Fields (Kirby's Epic Yarn)
Right off the bat you hear bells, trumpets and other loud noises that scream "Its Christmas" in your ear. After that it quiets down a bit and sounds more like a sleigh ride adventure on your nearest hillside. I like this one because its not often you hear voilins lead a wintery song. I was stuck between this one and "Frosty Wheel". This one takes the wheel (that one was intended) because there's a lot more going on in it. You can hear it here

Snowmads' Theme (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
This is the first (and only) song on my list from a game that I haven't played yet. I remember hearing the main tune in a video and I spent ages trying to find it. Now I love it. It reminds me of one of those old fashioned ice cutting scenes in movies or something. It sounds epic but still has that feeling of trudging around in the snow. You can listen to this one here

Shiveria Town (Super Mario Odyssey)
I'll try not to say too much about this one since the game is still really new. But this song is so cute! It makes me want to start knitting again It has such a homely, welcoming feeling. You can listen to this one here (possible spoilers though)

So there you have it. It was difficult choosing between certain ones from different series but it was fun to play them in the background while I write this. Thank you for reading (and listening). I'll see you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment