Sunday 1 October 2017

Squishy: My first week with the Switch thoughts

I used the last week mainly playing the Switch (mainly Zelda but I did play Mario Kart with my brother). Here are my thoughts on the console after my first week of obsessing over it!

Playing on the TV with both joy cons
Playing on the TV is my more preferred play style and the little I played of it was awesome. With both Joy cons it feels just like a regular controller (with smaller buttons) which feels more familiar to me.

Playing on the TV with one joy con
I played Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with my brother to see how this feels. It works okay but even with our small hands the single joy con felt tiny. This can be fixed with a pro controller but we didn't have one. Its a good concept but it must be worse for people with bigger hands. The Wii remotes did a better job at being a simple controller. The one joy con gameplay probably works better with motion controlled games.

Portable mode with joy cons attached
This is the way I've been playing the most. I've been playing Zelda in bed and even on the toilet (after that one trailer, the Switch was asking for it). The Wii U also allowed us to play games on the toilet (if the toilet is close enough to the console) but the Switch does it better. I've been too scared to let it leave my house though since its still new.

Overall
I'm glad that the Switch didn't end up being a gimmick like the Wii U did. Both consoles have awesome games but Nintendo must have learnt from the Wii U's mistakes. I look forward to getting more games like Super Mario Odyssey in the future. Thank you for reading and have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment