Thursday 15 June 2017

Beth's Thoughts: Ever Oasis Demo

Image result for ever oasis 

I was originally planning an E3 post for today, but I've had such a stressful couple of days (with added illness!) that I thought I'd do a quick post about the Ever Oasis demo.

Ever Oasis is a 3DS game scheduled for release on the 23rd of this month - and you can find out more about it here!


Uncover the mysteries hidden beneath the sands in Ever Oasis, an all-new take on the adventure RPG genre, only for Nintendo 3DS family systems. From legendary producer Koichi Ishii comes a one-of-a-kind adventure packed with real-time battles, environmental puzzles and dangerous dungeons!

Ever Oasis is a cartoon style RPG packe with battles and puzzles. There is a mixture of protagonists with different abilities and you can switch between them.

CI_3DS_EverOasis_GIF_Esna_Tethu_Meet_2.gif 
 
The game focuses on many different things, including creating and managing your very own oasis. This means managing shops, travelling, solving puzzles, battling and helping out visitors that arrive every morning.

How did I find the game?
It was okay. I can see the appeal, but I just found it average. Yes, it's cute, and I like the cartoon feel. But for this type of game, I think I prefer real-life style graphics. That's probably just personal taste, but I just don't think the cartoon style suits a game like this as well as real-life style graphics (such as Breath of the Wild)) suit these type of games more.

I also felt like this was a little bit of a rip-off of other successful Nintendo games. Obviously, adventure RPGs will follow similar paths - but there were things that stood out.

One of these is the adventure/travel style and the way you come across random monsters around the map. It felt so much like Xenoblade! Not just that, but so did the fact you can swap between main characters and have different skills with each.

The puzzles and dungeons felt a bit Zelda-ish, and the graphics felt like a Mario or Animal Crossing game. Everything just felt like other games!

So yeah, I guess I enjoyed playing - but I also found it very influenced by other games. If you like the sound of it, maybe you'll like it, but I think I'm going to give this one a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment